There are a few skeptics out there when it comes to melon. The idea being that melon actually ranks quite high in terms of sugar, however it has a ton of positive effects on our body too. The one crowd pleaser, day in day out? Watermelon. Not only is it a powerhouse when it comes to hydration but also refueling. Plus let’s not forget that it has a ton of nutritional value and minimal calories. We’re not done yet though, watermelon helps to reduce soreness and boosts athletic performance. Moreover it helps with inflammation and cardiovascular health. There’s no denying it, watermelon packs quite the punch on the health benefits scale! And guys, it tastes super delicious so you eat eat it as a snack, in a salad, on the side, or as a dessert. The options are endless.
These DIY Popsicle’s were created by Dawn Jackson Blatner, R.D.. And yes, it obviously uses water as the main source of recovery after a sweaty workout. Blatner pairs the Popsicle with sea salt as it acts like a electrolte replenishment. With only two ingredients, these sports pops are easy to prepare and at just 25 calories a servings, you don’t need to worry about the sugar content! Watermelon Electrolyte Pops are the perfect alternative to those sugary sports drinks. Blatner recommends you have one pop before the gym and one after for optimal recovery.
Watermelon Electrolyte Pops
Each Sports Pop is just 25 calories!
– Watermelon juice that contains citrulline in order to boost athletic performance and also help reduce muscle soreness.
– Sea salt that contains electrolytes like sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium to help maintain hydration.
1. CUT: Chop the flesh of an average watermelon into cubes. Ensure you include some of the white rind as the citrulline is found in higher concentrations there.
Note: An average size watermelon gives about 11 cups of cubes.
2. BLEND: Add cubes to a blender with 1 teaspoon of sea salt and blend until complete smooth. This will give you about six cups of juice.
3. FREEZE: Pour the juice into 16 ice pop pouches, zip close and freeze. To recover and hydrate even quicker, have one sports pop before and one after an intense sweat session!